Summary: Under the supervision of the Purchasing Manager, the Buyer analyzes customer demand of products, initiates actions to procure needed materials, recommends schedule maintenance, expedites product as needed, manages data file for suppliers and pricing, and performs other routine purchasing duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Researches inventory records to determine if parts on hand are in sufficient or excess quantities; develops action plans to rebalance the demand versus supply position.
- Purchase the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price and in correct amounts.
- Prepare purchase orders, solicit bid proposals and review requisitions for goods and services.
- Performs schedule maintenance based on an analysis of the information contained in the Facts Purchasing System.
- Research and evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, selection, service, support availability, reliability, production and distribution capabilities, and the supplier's reputation and history.
- Maintains appropriate records to support material acquisition decision and to perform related analyses as needed.
- Performs such other tasks and special projects as may be assigned from time to time by the unit manager.
- Use a combination of internal tools and reports, while communicating with Customer Relations and suppliers, to effectively expedite the delivery of product.
- Manage Supplier Reject Notice (SRN’s) with assigned catalog product group to enable a timely disposition of non-conforming product.
- Manage cost accountability process related to assigned catalog group(s).
- Monitor and follow applicable laws and regulations
- Negotiate, or renegotiate, and administer contracts with suppliers, vendors and other representatives.
- Monitor shipments to ensure that goods come in on time, and in the event of problems trace shipments and follow up on undelivered goods.
- Confer with staff, users, and vendors to discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services and determine corrective action.
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine need for changes.
- Review catalogs, industry periodicals, directories, trade journals, and internet sites, and consult with other departments personnel to locate necessary goods and services.
- Study sales records and inventory levels of current stock to develop strategic purchasing programs that facilitate employee access to supplies.
- Interview vendors and visit suppliers' plants to examine and learn about products, services and prices.
- Arrange the payment of duty and freight charges.
- Process Corrective Actions related to assigned job duties.
- Manage and process PPAP’s and PPW’S.
- Other duties may be assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adaptability – Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures; processes, requirements or cultures.
- Building Strategic Working Relationships – Developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Energy – Consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operating with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Upholds organizational values.
- Innovation - Generating innovative solutions in work situations; trying different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities
- Managing Work (includes Time Management) – Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Negotiation – Effectively exploring alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain the support and acceptance of all parties.
- Quality Orientation – Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Technical/professional Knowledge & Skills – having achieved a satisfactory level of technical & professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor Degree with 2-5 years’ experience is desired or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports & business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, employees of the organization, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate and percent. Ability to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram from. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have Intermediate knowledge of:
- Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Company Specific Programs
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Current valid driver’s license
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The Essential Duties and Responsibilities listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Travel may be required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, and walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, or crouch; and talk and hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally up to or over 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristic described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work conditions are that of a normal office setting. The noise level in the work environment can range from quiet to moderate.
6521 Production Dr
Cedar Falls, IA 50613